|Gig of the Year|
|Hugh Cochrane: .||The Impossible Gentlemen @ Zefferelli's, Ambleside|
|Ken Drew||Marian Crispell & Raymond McDonald @ N'cle Uni.|
|Arun Ghosh @ Sage Gateshead|
|Laura Jurd/Paul Dunmall (jt)|
|Tony Eales||Igor Butman - Moscow Jazz Orchestra @ Wigan Jazz Festival|
|Bobby Shew & LA Big Band @ LA Jazz Festival|
|Tommy Smith & SNJO Play Stan Kenton @ Queen's Hall, Edinburgh|
|Chris Finch||Trilok Gurtu, Paolo Fresu, Omar Sosa @ Sage Gateshead|
|Flore||David Sanborn/Bob James @ Barbican (London Jazz Festival)|
|Steve Horowitz||Arun Ghosh @ Sage Gateshead|
|Ollie Howell Quintet @ The Bridge, Newcastle|
|Courtney Pine @ Hoochie Coochie|
|Kath Jobes||Lindsay Hannon Plus @ Sage Gateshead|
|Lance||Keith Crombie Funeral/Wake @ Town Walls, Newcastle|
|Emma Fisk @ Whitley Bay Classic Jazz Party|
|Cecile McLorin Salvant & Daryl Sherman @ Whitley Bay Classic Jazz Party|
|Liz||Michael Bublé @ O2|
|John Taylor||Martin Stephenson/Martin Taylor @ Ashington Festival|
|Roly Veitch||Graeme Wilson Quartet @ Lit and Phil|
Bebop Spoken There
Miles Kington: "If the intake of alcohol fails to improve a jazz player's performance, why do jazz listeners think it improves their appreciation?" - (Jazz Express October 1982).
Barbara Jay: "My first gig was at the Astoria, Charing Cross Rd. It seemed like a den of iniquity to me. All the Soho girls were there and the gigolos with their old women paying them to dance..." - (Jazz UK May 2008.)
Today Monday February 27
Tuesday, December 31, 2013
Monday, December 30, 2013
Last Saturday night I was watching the review Café Society Swing in a London theatre. It told the story of the Café Society night club that flourished in New York either side of World War 2. Tonight I was back there, or so it seemed! This was Hoochie's Sunday Night Stomp and it was a delightful and enlightening experience.
Sunday, December 29, 2013
to be passed. This says much for the charisma of the man. A year on his name is still bandied about - sometimes with reverence other times just the opposite (probably in equal dozes). Whatever, he was a man who touched our hearts in many ways. His funeral and the wake that followed remains my gig of the year - I think it will be a one for all time.
Saturday, December 28, 2013
My ticket to the concert was a wild card, a mystery trip as the group were unknown to me. My mind was a blank canvas. By the end of the first piece a rainbow of colour had been painted.
Friday, December 27, 2013
However, I should have known better than to almost write it off after a few bars! These guys are from Yorkshire which is almost as good as being from Tyneside and, as the CD progressed, I realised there were no Trolls aboard.
Thursday, December 26, 2013
Wednesday, December 25, 2013
And on iplayer... Monday 23 (Radio 2, 10:00 pm) Jingle Bell Joe: Radio 2 House Party features Joe Stilgoe and his band. Guests include Caro Emerald.
Tuesday, December 24, 2013
Monday, December 23, 2013
Sunday, December 22, 2013
(Review by Lance).
Cherise Adams-Burnett, China Moses, Alexander Stewart (vcls); Harold Sanditen (narrator/vcls); Alex Webb (MD/comp/arr/pno); Sue Richardson (tpt/flug); Nathanial Facey (alt); Frank Griffith (ten/clt); Nathanial Cross (tmb); Jo Caleb (gtr); Miles Danso (bs); Shane Forbes (dms). Directed by Simon Green.
Saturday, December 21, 2013
Friday, December 20, 2013
Thursday, December 19, 2013
Jeremy McMurray-Roly Veitch Quartet with Mark Toomey @ Blaydon Jazz Club Christmas Party. December 15
Wednesday, December 18, 2013
Interestingly in 1926 it cost one shilling yet by 1960 it was only six old pence! If only everything had come down like that.
Tuesday, December 17, 2013
(Review by Lance).
Monday, December 16, 2013
Sunday, December 15, 2013
(Review by Lance)
Saturday, December 14, 2013
Friday, December 13, 2013
Thursday, December 12, 2013
Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Tuesday, December 10, 2013
Monday, December 09, 2013
PS: and next year - no prizes for guessing what my Film of the Year will be!
Free entry, but we will be collecting money on behalf of Durham Foodbank throughout the night. Durham Foodbank provide nutritionally balanced meals to over 1100 people in crisis every month throughout
Sunday, December 08, 2013
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- CD/Gig of the Year Choices
- Gig/CD of the Year
- R.I.P. Boyd Lee Dunlop
- Redemption Gigs 2014
- Best Jazz Read of the Year: McPartland v Burton
- Night Owl Blues
- T.J. Muller's Honky Tonk Jazz Band @ Hoochie Cooch...
- Pink Lane Jazz Co-op January Gigs
- A Sad Anniversary.
- Hugh Masekela on Radio 3 at Noon.
- Gilligan, Williams and Forbes December 27 - The Ja...
- Gig of the Year. David Sanborn & Bob James @ The L...
- Gala Theatre Update.
- Jazz Record Requests
- Congratulations to Kate and John.
- CD Review: Jamie Taylor's Outside Line Quartet - I...
- Ulster Jazz Club
- Frank Griffith - Master of the Reeds.
- Farewell to Herb Geller and Yusef Lateef but not t...
- Post Christmas Jazz Radio by Russell
- Sting: When The Last Ship Sails. BBC1 Sunday Decem...
- Jam Session @ The Salsa Cafe, Sunday December 22
- Gig/CD of the Year reminder.
- Simon Spillett Quartet @ The Oval Tavern, Croydon....
- Café Society Swing @ Leicester Square Theatre, Lon...
- Mo Scott Quartet – The Jazz Café December 20
- Rae Brothers New Orleans Jazz Band – 'Jazz @ the F...
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ The Millstone. December 19
- Deidre Cartwright Trio @ Jan's Bar, Stoke Newingto...
- QUIZ ANYONE? - Ruth Lambert Trio at The Gala Theat...
- Gateshead International Jazz Festival 2014 - Full ...
- Jazz Singers – Enhance Your Skills with Bulgarian ...
- GREGORY PORTER FOR HOOCHIE COOCHIE MARCH 14
- ACV @ Schmazz @ The Cluny. December 17
- Jeremy McMurray-Roly Veitch Quartet with Mark Toom...
- My CDs of the Year
- Melody Maker - Gone but not forgotten
- Santa's Last Stand @ Ned Kelly's
- The People's Kitchen Christmas Bash! Monday Decemb...
- Silver, Dead or Alive?
- Bebop Spoken Here Talks to Brian Bennett
- Harlem Hot Stompers @ Boston Spa December 14
- CD Review: Paul Harrison - Ten Play Ten
- Jam Session - Splinter at the Bridge December 15
- R.I.P. Joe Errington
- Sunday Jam @ Salsa Café
- Paul Gowland’s Allstars – The Jazz Café 14/12/13...
- No More Anonymous.
- CD Review: David Bach - Other World.
- Gig of the Year/CD of the Year/Jazz Person of the ...
- Travel Update for Blaydon
- Seven Jazz Leeds springs into action!
- Paul Edis Trio – Jazz Café December 13
- In Tune - BBC 3 (4:30pm.
- CD Launch: The River Flows at Night - Saxophonics ...
- Djangologie @ Bridge Hotel, Newcastle - JNE Xmas P...
- Jazz Café Dates for the Diary.
- Sunday Night Stomp End of Year Special.
- Gaudencio Thiago De Mello
- Jim Hall by Maurice Summerfield
- Jim Hall by Jim Douglas
- Bopping All Hours
- RIP Jim Hall (1930-2013)
- Gig of the Year
- ALT – Splinter @ the Bridge December 8
- Durham University Big Band Gig This Wednesday (Dec...
- CD Review: Stranahan/Zaleski/Rosato – Limitless
- Jam Session @ Salsa.
- The Dean Stockdale Trio @ Salsa Café December 7
- Keith Stephen's Hot Club Trio Featuring Caroline I...
- Nikki Iles' 50th Birthday Bash with Norma Winstone...
- Jazzman Documentary - last day - £129 to go.
- Puppini Sisters @ Sage Gateshead
- RIP Stan Tracey
- Havana Club 5 @ Hoochie Coochie December 5
- Redemption Jazz Fill Empty Shop. December 4.
- Rendezvous Jazz @ St Joseph’s, Birtley. December 5...
- Jazz Café Preview Thursday December 5.
- Marilyn Crispell & Raymond MacDonald + John Pope &...
- The Jazzman Documentary Final Appeal.
- George (Graham's) funeral from John Taylor
- A Date For The Diary (Night Owls only).
- WANTED! EST Photos
- Jazz Deaths in Ashington
- CD Launch: Zoe Gilby Quartet - Twelve Stories @ Br...
- Claire Kelly Trio – Salsa Café November 30.
- Jitterbug Vipers & Bluebuds @ Live Theatre. Novem...
- New Sunday Afternoon Jam Session
- ▼ December ( 90 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)