Bebop Spoken There
Allison Neale: “It’s difficult if you play mainstream in the UK, it isn’t appreciated enough. The current scene seems to focus on musician-composers.” - (Jazz Journal April 2013).
Liam Noble: “I know some people think playing standards is old-fashioned but I love it.” – (Jazz Journal January 2016).
Monday February 20
Monday, March 31, 2014
Sunday, March 30, 2014
(Review by Lance/Photo by Mike Tilley).
Saturday, March 29, 2014
Friday, March 28, 2014
Thursday, March 27, 2014
Wednesday, March 26, 2014
Malcolm was 80 year old and had been in ill health for several years.
Funeral is at Whitley Bay Crematorium next Wednesday April 2 at 3pm and afterwards at the Grand Hotel.
Tuesday, March 25, 2014
Monday, March 24, 2014
(Review by Lance)
There Will Never Be Another You; God Bless the Child (vocal by Fi) and Doxy were the numbers I heard. I would have stayed longer but Hoochie beckoned..... Lance.
Sunday, March 23, 2014
The Gargoyles, who look anything but like gargoyles, are young and vibrant and currently somewhere East of Suez.
Saturday, March 22, 2014
Friday, March 21, 2014
Thursday, March 20, 2014
(Review by Lance)
Wednesday, March 19, 2014
This is going to be something. Hoochie is on a roll at present and this one's free so get along and park it (but not in "The Dugout").
Tuesday, March 18, 2014
(Review by Lance).
Monday, March 17, 2014
Sunday, March 16, 2014
(Review by Lance).
Saturday, March 15, 2014
Friday, March 14, 2014
Thursday, March 13, 2014
(Review by Lance.)
Gestating in the Womb.
a blind future which would destroy us.
a precocious potentiality
to elevate us toward the golden city walls of Ancient Egyptian demigods.
but it is the vibrations coming from outside.
celestial sound waves impinging on that foetal conciousness
that will make or break us.
and before we know if we want to be made or broken
time will pass us by like a shooting star,
leaving us alone again on this spherical blue rock
orbiting our own inflated self-image.
The above is a poem from the album notes by pianist Dominic J. Marshall.
Wednesday, March 12, 2014
PS: Anyone know why and when he changed his name from Muddel to Mudele?
(Review by Lance).
Tuesday, March 11, 2014
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- CD Review: Brother Strut - The First Strut is the ...
- Alex Baker Quartet @ The Forum, Darlington. March ...
- Havana Club 5 - Splinter @ The Bridge
- Double LP Review: Nat Birchell Quintet - Live in L...
- Darlington New Orleans Jazz Club - Change of Band....
- CD Review: Donna Singer and The Doug Richards Trio...
- Alan Glen Trio @ The Jazz Café. March 29 (second s...
- Places still available for Play Jazz! workshop at ...
- Alan Glen Trio @ The Jazz Café
- Ron Carter Trio @ Blue Note Jazz Club Milan. March...
- Info Required on Tommy Hines
- EVERYONE DESERVES MUSIC AT SAGE GATESHEAD
- A Lighter Shade of Pink
- CD Review: Basin Street Brawlers - It's Tight Like...
- Tyne Valley Big Band & Tyne Valley Youth Big Band ...
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ The Millstone. March 27
- CD Review: Sara Serpa & Andre Matos - Primavera
- Playtime in Edinburgh
- CD Review: Matt Newton Trio - Within Reach
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ The Crescent Club. March 26
- GIJF News.
- Trio Riot @ Schmazz at the Jazz Café. March 25
- R.I.P. Malcolm Gray
- Jazz @ Nairn to Return
- CD Review: Vijay Iyer - Mutations
- Ray Stubbs All-Stars @ The Schooner, Gateshead Mar...
- Pink Lane Jazz Co-op extending its community share...
- Preview: Sage Gateshead International Jazz Festiva...
- CD Review: Tommy Smith & Brian Kellock - Whisperin...
- Alan Glen @ The Cherry Tree Restaurant, Jesmond.
- A Strictly Combustible Evening. March 23
- CD Review: Paul Higgs - Pavane
- Jam Session @ Salsa. March 23.
- Strictly Smokin' Big Band @ Hoochie Coochie
- Ruth Lambert Trio @ The Jazz Café. March 22
- Gregory Porter on Andrew Marr Show this morning.
- Oxford Gargoyles in Hong Kong
- Song Lyric Course
- Empty Shop HQ Update
- Stu Collingwood Trio @ The Jazz Café. March 21
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ The Millstone. March 20
- Customs House Big Band @ (wait for it) The Customs...
- Mo Scott, Paul Edis & Neil Harland @ The Gala Thea...
- Taupe @ King’s Hall. March 20
- Ned Kelly's coming to London
- The Pilgrim St. Set @ Hoochie Coochie March 20
- Jazz Café Update
- CD Review: Yvonnick Prene - Wonderful World
- Thursday Night @ Hoochie - Looks Good.
- Gavin Lee’s Dixieland Band @ The New Inn, Durham. ...
- Erlend Skomsvoll to form top young JM Jazz World O...
- R.I.P. Al Harewood.
- Calling All Jazz Promoters
- Jazz Café Jam Session Number 4. March 18.
- CD Review: Lena Bloch - Feathery.
- Pink Lane Jazz Co-op on BBC Look North
- Nic Svarc Trio @ The Bridge Hotel. March 16
- Salsa Cafe Jazz Jam: Sunday March 16
- RIP Iola Brubeck and Med Flory
- Paul Gowland’s Allstars @ The Jazz Café March 15...
- Thursdays Are The New Fridays
- Paul Skerritt Band @ Salsa Café March 15
- Gregory Porter Goes to School in Houghton Le Sprin...
- Gregory Porter @ Hoochie Coochie March 14.
- Ruth Lambert Trio @ The Lit & Phil. March 14
- Celebrating Roy @ The Bridge Hotel. March 11
- CD Review: Trio Riot Trio Riot
- RIP Terry Willits.
- The Collective @ Hoochie Coochie March 13.
- Tori Freestone Trio – Splinter at the Bridge March...
- Greg Spero and his Amazing Chicago Jazz Quartet - ...
- Zoe Gilby Trio - Jazz Café Saturday Feb 8.
- CD Review: Dominic J. Marshall Trio - Spirit Speec...
- Alan Glen Trio @ The Chillingham. March 5
- R.I.P. Joe Mudele
- Customs House Big Band Open Rehearsal/Concert @ Th...
- Lest We Forget ....
- Gala Theatre Lunchtime Update
- CD Reviews:The Lalama Brothers - Erie Ave.
- EP Review: Nicky Schrire - To The Spring.
- CD Review: Jason Rebello – Anything But Look.
- Great North Big Band Jazz Festival (Day 3) @ North...
- Blaydon Bulletin
- Trombone players wanted.
- Triptych @ The Cherry Tree, Jesmond
- Tori Freestone Trio @ Bridge Hotel. March 9..
- Lit and Phil Latest
- Tonight @ The Cherry Tree - Triptych (Paul Edis pi...
- Sunday Salsa Jam.
- Mark Nightingale and the Al Wood 9 as headline art...
- Alexander Bone Announced as BBC Young Jazz Musicia...
- CD Review: Libby York - Memoirs
- Brian Carrick and the Heritage Hall Stompers @ As...
- Jason Rebello @ Hoochie Coochie March 7.
- Improved Anti-piracy Technology Announced
- Clarinet player wanted.
- Pink Lane Jazz Co-op Share Update - 50% sold, 2 we...
- CD Review: Emilia Mårtensson - Ana
- New Sunniside Venue for Maine Street Jazzmen.
- CD Review: Pigfoot - 21st Century Acid Trad.
- ▼ March ( 111 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)