Bebop Spoken There
Miles Kington: "If the intake of alcohol fails to improve a jazz player's performance, why do jazz listeners think it improves their appreciation?" - (Jazz Express October 1982).
Barbara Jay: "My first gig was at the Astoria, Charing Cross Rd. It seemed like a den of iniquity to me. All the Soho girls were there and the gigolos with their old women paying them to dance..." - (Jazz UK May 2008.)
Today Monday February 27
Sunday, November 30, 2014
Saturday, November 29, 2014
Friday, November 28, 2014
As befits Thanksgiving Day, American trumpeter Tanton was in top form both soloing and announcing. Leader Lamb also blistered.
The big band set was followed by a set from Jamie Toms that, for some reason, wasn't announced so that by the time they kicked off most of the uninformed audience had left!
I too had a bus to catch but what I heard sounded good.
Thursday, November 27, 2014
Wednesday, November 26, 2014
Fred Grand's reviews (see comments).
Tuesday, November 25, 2014
Monday, November 24, 2014
Jazz North East & Splinter @ the Bridge present Sean Noonan & The Suwalki String Quartet @ The Bridge November 23.
Sunday, November 23, 2014
BSH regulars will, I'm sure, give us their support in the Jazz Media Category (Best Blog etc.) But this is also an opportunity to draw attention to some north east talent worthy of greater recognition by the rest of the country.
Saturday, November 22, 2014
Friday, November 21, 2014
Wednesday, November 19, 2014
Tuesday, November 18, 2014
Monday, November 17, 2014
Public Relations Officer
(Review by Lance).
Sunday, November 16, 2014
Saturday, November 15, 2014
Win some/lose some.
The £3 charge will now apply up to 7.30pm.
Friday, November 14, 2014
Herbie's son Adrian has set up a British Heart Foundation Appeal in memory of his dad.
For more details follow link.
Thursday, November 13, 2014
No Collective tonight and too late for Sage.
The barman at HC wasn't too sure thought maybe it was because of a bereavement so I couldn't argue but hey - you guys in the band - I do my best to promote the gig couldn't you have let me know? I met a couple of fans coming in as I was going out and they weren't pleased... neither was I!
I had a punt on the "Rapid Transit" Metro - it was on time!
Win some, Lose some.
PS: Kate Daniels at Lit & Phil tomorrow night...
The bad news is we've got to wait until next November!
Nov 6 - 8, 2015 to be precise.
Once again at the Village Hotel.
See you then, if not before.
celebration of the great tradition of jazz song.
The music is essentially lovingly crafted interpretations of from Jazz’s inception, through the interwar years.
The band takes in the clues,
Wednesday, November 12, 2014
Matt Robinson (clarinets); Seth Bennett (bass); Phil Marks (drums) + Karen Rann (soprano sax); Paul Taylor (piano).
(Review by Lance).
Nov. 20: Georgia Mancio/Ian Shaw.
Nov. 22: Johanna Graham.
Nov. 26: Georgia Mancio/Alan Broadbent.
Tuesday, November 11, 2014
I reviewed this CD about a year ago and it figured highly in my vocal discs of 2013. As the Kate Daniels Quartet are appearing at the Lit and Phil on Friday (Nov. 14) I thought it appropriate to repost the review - with vocal samples - to give readers an idea of what they have to look forward to.
Not to be missed - 7.30pm. £10/£8 (concessions). More details in RH column.
(Review by Lance).
Sunday 23rd Nov - 8pm - £6.00
Monday, November 10, 2014
Sunday, November 09, 2014
I never heard him play but I remember when he appeared at Newcastle City Hall circa 1964. Those friends of mine who attended the concert spoke of it as awesome and this was before "awesome" became the throwaway word it is today.
Truly a great talent.
He was 93 years old.
Rest In Peace.
Saturday, November 08, 2014
Friday, November 07, 2014
It's a mouthwatering feast for lovers of classic jazz as today's program will testify to.
12 noon – 12.30pm: Tribute to Mike.
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- Diachronix at the Jazz Cafe, November 29
- CD Review: Nils Landgren: Christmas With My Friend...
- Christmas Music at Cherry Tree
- CD Review: Jennie Marie Hammond & The Quiet Band -...
- SSBB/Jamie Toms @ The Millstone November 27
- Big Sid Catlett Reigns @ King’s Hall, Newcastle Un...
- Dominic J Marshall Trio @ King’s Hall, Newcastle U...
- GATESHEAD INTERNATIONAL JAZZ FESTIVAL ANNOUNCES 20...
- Radio Russell: Paul Tips His Hat to Jack
- Preview: "Big Sid Catlett Reigns" @ King’s Hall. N...
- Julie Sassoon (solo piano) + Travelers @ Jazz Café...
- I've Got Those Didn't Get to LJF Blues
- More Plaudits for Bebop Spoken Here
- Vinyl Review: Nucleus with Leon Thomas – Live 1970...
- New Hartlepool gig.
- CD Review: Ken Thomson and Slow/Fast - Settle.
- Jazz North East & Splinter @ the Bridge present Se...
- Vasilis Xenopoulos w. Paul Edis Trio & Black Bull ...
- Globe Bar Prices
- Election Time - Vote Now!
- Jazz Coop At The Globe: Folk Meets Jazz: Saturday ...
- DVD Review: Fred Hersch - My Coma Dreams
- Things Ain't What They Used to Be!
- Vasilis Xenopoulos with the Paul Edis Trio @ Opus ...
- More from Durham University Big Band
- Jazz UK to cease publication immediately.
- John Wilson Orchestra - Cole Porter in Hollywood. ...
- Benn Clatworthy Quartet @ The Globe, Newcastle.
- Abdullah Ibrahim - Solo Piano Recital @ Sage Gates...
- THE 2014 BRITISH JAZZ AWARDS: THE RESULTS
- Jam Session @ Jazz Café - November 18.
- Scots recreate two classics – with strings attache...
- Paul Skerritt Band @ Fenwicks, Newcastle
- RIP Buddy Catlett.
- Pete Churchill Workshop @ Durham on Nov. 27
- Jason Isaacs @ Bonbar, Newcastle. November 16.
- CD Review: Jeremy Platt Jazz Soul Moment - Sometim...
- Jazz Latin Groove @ The Globe 15/11/14
- Ruth Lambert & Dean Stockdale @ The Jazz Café. Nov...
- Roy Willis in Hong Kong - The Truth!
- Friday Gigs to have 8pm start on Fridays from Dece...
- Big Bands Are Like Buses
- Hebrides Ensemble: Dead Elvis @ Sage Gateshead. No...
- Kate Daniels Quartet @ Lit & Phil - November 14.
- Steward banjoed at Jazz Party!
- Herbert ‘Herbie’ Sargent : 8 January 1934 – 9 Nove...
- No Coochie @ Hoochie tonight.
- Mike Durham's Classic Jazz Party News
- Fumi Okiji’s Old Time Jazz Band Northern Tour Date...
- The Quartet Grew Smaller + Improv Jam @ Jazz Café
- CD Review: Hank Marvin - Django's Castle.
- Some LJF Gigs.
- Jazz Co-op Workshop Featuring the Samuel Eagles Qu...
- Be Quick, Quigley at Sage Gateshead!
- Preview: Kate Daniels Quartet @ Lit & Phil Friday ...
- The Geordie Boys
- Coming soon to Blaydon...
- Pannonica @ The Bridge Hotel. November 9
- Am Jam @ The Globe. November 9
- No Chilli This Wednesday
- CD Review: Leo Appleyard – Pembroke Road
- CD Review: Simon Purcell – Red Circle
- Jack Bruce Tribute.
- RIP Manitas de Plata
- The Virtuoso Jazz Trio @ Ashington Jazz Club. Nov....
- Havana Club 5 @ Empty Shop, Durham. Nov. 6
- From the Village Hotel to the London Jazz Festival...
- Classic Jazz Party - Day 3
- Jazz Party - Day 2 [Afternoon] Report. Nov. 8
- Paul Edis Trio @ The Jazz Café. November 7
- Today [Saturday] @ The Classic Jazz Party
- Richard Pite - Boisdale Interview.
- Jazz Party - Afternoon.
- Paul Edis @ The Lit & Phil. November 7
- Today @ Classic Jazz Party
- Josh Lane @ King’s Hall Newcastle Uni. November 6
- The Shoeshop Quartet @ King’s Hall Newcastle Uni. ...
- The Jazz Repertory Company and the EFG London Jazz...
- Jam Session @ The Jazz Café or Drummers Anonymous
- Don't miss Jason Isaacs - in London or in Newcastl...
- WEA Jazz Courses: We need YOU!
- Bluebut @ The Bridge. November 2
- CD Review: Clark Tracey Quintet - Meantime
- Zoe Gilby @ Hoochie Coochie November 2.
- James Harrison, Ian Simpson and Friends at The Jaz...
- CD Review: Euan Burton - Too Much Love
- RIP Acker Bilk
- Clark Tracey Drum Workshop - The Globe, Newcastle....
- Clark Tracey Quintet @ The Globe, Newcastle, Novem...
- RIP David Redfern
- Barber for Sage Gateshead
- Nigel Price Trio @ Ushaw College, October 31
- Philip Clouts Quartet - Jazz Café. October 31
- ▼ November ( 93 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)