Bebop Spoken There
Alan Luff: “The general view is that Ella’s songbook recordings are the supreme exemplars of sophistication, fine diction and creative voice in the wide field of popular music.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Steve Voce: “Most of us have been crashed into by cretins who walk along the road absorbed in the screens of their mobile phones.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Today Monday May 22
Monday, August 31, 2015
Sunday, August 30, 2015
(Review by Lance).
Saturday, August 29, 2015
After the frustration of the Proms Story of Swing concert - a BBC 4 program that promised much and delivered less it was with anticipation that I caught up with the Jazz Diva program that followed.
Friday, August 28, 2015
Thursday, August 27, 2015
Wednesday, August 26, 2015
Tuesday, August 25, 2015
In the history of jazz, it could be argued, that very few pianists could really play solo successfully and satisfyingly. Tatum, Peterson, Jarrett – those with a formidable technique. Hersch, also, belongs in that stellar group; he’s a master-musician with a style uniquely his own incorporating a wonderful harmonic sense, swing, humour, touch at the keyboard, emotion and lyrical improvisations. The album comprises a set of pieces that are typical Hersch – Kern, Tizol, Monk, Jobim and Joni Mitchell plus a couple of Hersch originals.
(Review by Lance).
A New York based, Danish, singer/songwriter, Juul is one of those artists who creep up on you and grow upon you and, as you absorb the melodies and the intriguing lyrics, suddenly you're in love with a voice.
Monday, August 24, 2015
Sunday, August 23, 2015
Saturday, August 22, 2015
Friday, August 21, 2015
This time he's doing a duo with guitarist Sam Dunn and, as their recent recording proves, it's quite something.
Check out the CD review.
Saturday August 22: Damian Cook & Sam Dunn @ The Globe Jazz Bar, 11 Railway St., Newcastle NE4 7AD. Doors 8pm. £5.
Then, at 11.40pm, On the Town.
However, According to the BBC 4 site these programmes run at 2200/2300/2400 hours so give yourself plenty of time!
Thursday, August 20, 2015
Wednesday, August 19, 2015
Tuesday, August 18, 2015
Monday, August 17, 2015
And Now For Something Completely Different: Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: Ladies Of Midnight Blue: August 15
Sunday, August 16, 2015
Doors 4pm, Stage 5pm.
(Review by Lance).
The sun was shining, the breeze little more than a cooling zephyr, the products of Wylam Brewery were being consumed so enthusiastically that a queue stretching almost to the banks of the Ouseburn was formed.
On stage, the Strictly Smokin' Little Big Soul Band (their chosen name for today according to the set list) were warming up for this, their fourth annual gig in this pleasant outdoor venue, and possibly the first where they elements haven't prevailed.
Saturday, August 15, 2015
Friday, August 14, 2015
Thursday, August 13, 2015
DJ wrap around the gig playing Jazz, Hip Hop , & eclectic grooves.
Entry is FREE
Great Drinks promos - Cocktails 2 for 1 , Heineken £3 per pint, 13 Guns Ale £2 per bottle.
Wednesday, August 12, 2015
Tuesday, August 11, 2015
Tubby Hayes (ten); Louis Stewart (gtr); Kenny Baldock (bs); Spike Wells (dms).
(Review by Lance.)
I try to avoid review discs "jumping the queue" - first come first served has always been my motto -but there are times when those values get thrown out of the window.
Monday, August 10, 2015
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- Between the Delaval and the Deep Blue Sea...
- Teddy Wilson in Newcastle
- Steve Glendinning/Peter Gilligan @ The Globe Jazz ...
- Queens of Jazz: the Joy and Pain of the Jazz Divas...
- This Weekend's Jazz Coop Gigs @ The Globe Jazz Bar...
- Tonight @ The Proms
- CD Review: Sinne Eeg - Eeg-Fonnesbæk
- CD Review: Daniel Fortin - Brinks.
- Peter Gilligan Trio w. Alice Grace @ The Cherry Tr...
- Tonight (August 26) @ The Cherry Tree
- CD Review: Fred Hersch - Solo
- CD Review: Mette Juul - There is a Song
- Hartlepool Fundraiser
- CD Review: Shatner’s Bassoon – The Self Titled Alb...
- Message Received From Saturn
- Steve Stephenson Show Band.
- Damian Cook and Sam Dunn @ The Globe Jazz Bar - Au...
- CD Review: Misha Mullov-Abbado - New Ansonia
- ACV (Mk 2) to debut in Edinburgh
- Saturday Night at the Globe
- Tonight on tv.
- Will it be Tuxedo or Clapham Junction?
- Hexham Hotline
- CD Review: Mark Christian Miller - Crazy Moon
- Jazz Café Update
- Melody Maker - the Dead Sea Scrolls of Jazz
- CD Review: Man Overboard Quintet - Down in the Dee...
- Paul Edis Trio @ The Black Bull, Blaydon. August 1...
- Jason Isaacs & The Ambassadors of Swing @ Hoochie ...
- And Now For Something Completely Different: Jazz C...
- Paul Gowland & Bradley Johnston @ The Jazz Café. A...
- This Afternoon @ Hoochie Coochie
- Strictly Smokin' Little Big Soul Band at Tyne Bar ...
- Zoë Gilby Trio with Noel Dennis @ The Jazz Café. A...
- Pilgrim St. Set @ Hoochie Coochie August 13.
- Tonight at Hoochie
- CD Review: Eddie Toal - Always in my Heart.
- Hoochie Happenings
- CD Review: Andrea Wood - Kaleidoscope
- LP Review: Tubby Hayes Quartet - Live at the Hopbi...
- Blaydon Update
- Strictly Good Weather @ the Tyne Bar
- Zoe Gilby Quartet @ Ashington Jazz Club - August 5...
- Remembering Ray Truscott @ Jazz Café
- Mark Williams & Joel McCullough @ The Jazz Café. A...
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: Folk Meets Jazz: August 6
- Ayanna Witter-Johnson Fundraiser
- Paul Edis Trio @ The Jazz Café. August 7
- Super Saturday - well mainly...
- Lambert and Williams @ The Vermont Hotel. August 7...
- The Early Bird Band @ The Jazz Café - August 7.
- The Best of British Tell the Story of Swing
- Variety @ The Jazz Bar
- Sage Gateshead says "Thank You..."
- CD Review: Mason Razavi/Bennett Roth-Newell - Afte...
- Be Early For the Early Birds
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: The Weekend Workshop And O...
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: Preview: Folk Meets Jazz: ...
- Alice Graces the Jazz Café
- Jam Session @ Jazz Café - August 4
- RIP Harry Pitch
- CD Review: Bruno Heinen & Kristian Borring - Postc...
- Friday Night is Definitely Music Night on BBC4
- OXYD play Nirvana @ Bridge Hotel, Newcastle - Aug...
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: Williams/Tanton Quartet. A...
- Musical Menu @ the Cherry Tree
- RIP Cilla.
- CD Review: Indigo Kid II - Fist Full of Notes.
- Down Beat Hereby Declares…
- Musicians Unlimited in Holiday Mood
- Hip Hop Spoken Here - Cantaloop @ Hoochie Coochie....
- ▼ August ( 71 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)