Bebop Spoken There
Alan Luff: “The general view is that Ella’s songbook recordings are the supreme exemplars of sophistication, fine diction and creative voice in the wide field of popular music.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Steve Voce: “Most of us have been crashed into by cretins who walk along the road absorbed in the screens of their mobile phones.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Today Monday May 22
Thursday, March 31, 2016
Wednesday, March 30, 2016
Tuesday, March 29, 2016
Monday, March 28, 2016
Sunday, March 27, 2016
Duke Ellington/Ivy Anderson - It Don't Mean a Thing.
Frank Sinatra/Tommy Dorsey - Imagination.
Dick Haymes/Tommy Dorsey - Little White Lies.
Stan Freeberg - St. George and the Dragonet.
Eric Delaney - Oranges & Lemons.
Original Cast - Oklahoma.
What a hoot to hear the Freeberg track again - classic.
Saturday, March 26, 2016
Friday, March 25, 2016
Thursday, March 24, 2016
Wednesday, March 23, 2016
This is heading for the car stereo - anyone care for a lift?
Released on April 15.
Check the album out here.
Tuesday, March 22, 2016
Nevertheless, it's all here so you can judge for yourself - a bit like a jazz X Factor!
Monday, March 21, 2016
On the first day of spring (the meteorologists will tell you it was) F’reez opened with On a Clear Day. MC Guy Swinton admitted to shamelessly nicking the arrangement from a friend of the band, Mr Anthony Strong! Our man F’reez sang it in his Nu soul-jazz style. Standard material, the band sounded good. There was little indication of things to come.
Sunday, March 20, 2016
Bing Crosby - Swingin on a Star.
Boswell Sisters - The Object of my Affection.
Bessie Smith - Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out.
Charles Penrose - The Laughing Policeman.
Ted Heath - Swinging Shepherd Blues.
Nellie Lutcher - Hurry on Down to my House Baby.
Saturday, March 19, 2016
Friday, March 18, 2016
Follow the link.
(Review by Lance).
Gerry Richardson's Big Idea was a good idea when it kicked off some years back, now it's a brilliant idea! Mainly originals, both old and new, by Gerry, with the odd cover thrown in, this is a band for all seasons that never fails to deliver.
Terence Blanchard, Courtney Pine & Charles Bradley Lead A Star Studded Line Up For Gateshead International Jazz Festival
Thursday, March 17, 2016
Wednesday, March 16, 2016
Held in the idyllic settings of Mambo Wine and Dine in South Shields, guests can sip on a range of fantastic cocktails whilst, at the same time, listening to some of the finest Jazz the North has to offer.
With vocals from Paul Skerritt, one of the key male Jazz vocalists in the area, paired with the sublime talent of his partner in crime from The Paul Skerritt Band, James Harrison on piano, it promises to be an evening not to be missed.
Tuesday, March 15, 2016
Monday, March 14, 2016
Sunday, March 13, 2016
Peggy Lee/Benny Goodman - Why Don't You Do Right?
Steve Conway - My Foolish Heart.
Jon Hendricks/Louis Armstrong - Heebie Jeebies.
Cab Calloway - Minnie the Moocher.
Spike Jones - Cocktails For Two.
Coleman Hawkins - Body and Soul.
Nice one Colin. Superb Steve Conway - the definitive version!
- Miles Ahead at Tyneside Cinema!
- Tommy Smith to host Glasgow jazz summer school
- ACV @ The Black Swan, Newcastle - March 29
- CD Review: Ehud Asherie - Shuffle Along
- CD Review: Graeme Wilson Quartet – Sure Will Hold ...
- CD Review: Zhenya Strigalev – Never Group
- RIP David Baker
- CD Review: Eileen Howard - Big City Love
- Hong Kong Calling
- James Birkett and Bradley Johnston Jazz Guitar Duo...
- Charity Shopping - the New Junk Shopping
- CD Review: Leslie Pintchik - True North
- Dave Weisser & Alan Law @ The Jazz Café. March 25
- CD Review: Danny Green Trio - Altered Narratives
- Not Now Charlie @ The Globe - March 24
- At the Globe Tonight
- CD Review: Hans Koller – Retrospection
- CD Review: Gilles Peterson - Magic Peterson Sun Sh...
- Mo Scott Band @ The Jazz Café. March 22
- Northern Edition CD Compilation.
- Strictly Smokin’ Big Band @ Blaydon Jazz Club. Mar...
- Jazz Vocal Coup For Cherry Tree
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: Milne & Johnston Band: Mar...
- Vintage Chart Toppers Episode 4
- Ray Dales Quartet @ Ashington Jazz Club.
- Interview with Michael Lamb
- CD Review: Darren English - Imagine Nation.
- St Cuthbert’s Durham Beat
- Ushaw Ensemble – St. Cuthbert's Suite, Ushaw Colle...
- The Lindsay Hannon Plus @ The Jazz Café. March 18
- Grew Quartet + Grew Watts Duo + Grew Quintet @ Lit...
- And Even More GIJF - Lance talks to Simon Spillett...
- More on Gateshead International Jazz Festival
- Vintage Chart Toppers Episode 4 on Sunday (March 2...
- Gerry Richardson's Big Idea @ The Jazz Café - Marc...
- Terence Blanchard, Courtney Pine & Charles Bradley...
- RIP Frank Sinatra Jr.
- New release :Magnus Öström - Parachute.
- Mambo Jambo
- CD Review: Phronesis - Parallax.
- The Tube Revisited
- RIP Ernestine Anderson
- The Globe Spins Again
- TRIO HLK + TAUPE @ The Bridge Hotel – March 13
- BSH Talks to Alex Webb about Café Society Swing.
- This Thursday at the Jazz Café - Gerry Richardson'...
- RIP Naná Vasconcelos
- Vintage Chart Toppers Episode 3
- CD Review: Marcos Varela - San Ygnacio.
- The Early Bird Sessions @ The Lit & Phil. March 12...
- RIP Keith Emerson
- Svarc Hanley Longhawn @ The Jazz Café. March 11
- Motherese + Zoe Gilby Trio + Jennifer Parry @ The ...
- The Jazz Clams @ The Globe - March 10.
- Love For Sale: A Superb Song
- Treasure Trove revealed
- The Safe Sextet @ The Jazz Café - March 8
- CD Review: Ninna Milner: Songs For Sentient Beings...
- Great North Big Band Jazz Festival (Day 3) @ North...
- Great North Big Band Jazz Festival (Day 2) @ North...
- Book Review: Billie Holiday - The Musician and the...
- CD Review: Aki Rissanen Trio - Amorandom
- CD Review: Gabriela Martina - No White Shoes
- CD Review - Jazz @ The Spotted Dog, Birmingham
- Big Muddy @ The Globe - March 5
- Our Man On The Air In Hong Kong
- Jam Experiment @ The Jazz Café. March 4
- CD Review: Tommaso Starace/Michele Di Toro - From ...
- Get Carter @ Northern Stage
- CD Review: Jeff Williams – Outlier
- Alice Grace Quartet @ The Cherry Tree
- jazz plus productions
- Jazz Café Jam - March 1.
- America’s Jazz Times Honours Its Own
- CD Review: Aldevis Tibaldi London Jazz Ensemble - ...
- ▼ March ( 75 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)